Former Unit Colours and Guidon04 December 2012
The Army Museum has a number of historic unit colours and a guidon previously carried by Western Australian units of the Citizen Military Forces (CMF), and the later Army Reserve.
Please note that these colours and guidon are currently not available for viewing due to the gallery redevelopment work being undertaken at the museum.
The initial items relating to this collection are the following which were passed on to the museum in 1988:
- Queen’s (originally King’s) and Regimental Colours of 11th Battalion (The City of Perth Regiment), presented in 1920 and 1929 respectively.
- Queen’s (originally King’s) and Regimental Colours of 16th Battalion (The Cameron Highlanders of Western Australia), presented in 1951 viagra au canada.
- Queen’s (originally King’s) and Regimental Colours of 28th Battalion (The Swan Regiment), presented in 1920 and 1927 respectively.
- Queen’s (originally King’s) and Regimental Colours of 44th Battalion (The West Australian Rifles), presented in 1920 and 1927 respectively.
- Guidon of 10th Light Horse, presented in 1928
These were previously held at the State War Memorial, King’s Park and were in a fragile condition before being prepared for display under a grant from the Australian Bicentennial Authority awarded in 1988.
A further set of historic colours previously carried by 11th Battalion (The City of Perth Regiment) was handed over to the Army Museum by Perth City Council in 1993. These had been held by the Council since their formal laying up in 1930:
- Queen’s Colour, 1st Infantry Regiment (WA Volunteer Forces), presented in 1896
- King’s Banner, 11th Australian Infantry Regiment (Perth Regiment), presented in 1911
- Regimental Colour, 11th Australian Infantry Regiment (Perth Regiment), presented in 1911
An addition was made to the above collection of colours in November 2002 when the former colours of 16th Battalion, The Royal Western Australia Regiment were handed over to the Army Museum following the battalion being presented with a new set of colours in October of that year. These colours were originally presented to 1st Battalion, The Royal Western Australia Regiment by Field Marshall HRH The Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh at a parade held at the Western Australian Cricket Association Ground, East Perth on 25 November 1962. The CMF infantry battalion colours passed on to the museum in 1988, referred to above, were the colours that were marched off and retired at that parade, following the merging of these battalions to form The Royal Western Australia Regiment in 1960. The collection therefore represents colours from several successive generations of infantry units in the State.